Collections Data Manager, Hampton University Museum
The Hampton University Museum invites nominations and applications for a Collections Data Manager beginning no later than September 1, 2020.
Founded in 1868, Hampton University is a leading historically black university (HBCU) located on the Virginia Peninsula in the City of Hampton. It is a privately endowed, co-educational, nonsectarian institution. The Hampton University Museum was founded in 1868 and is the oldest African American Museum in the nation and one of the oldest museums in Virginia.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Hampton University Museum seeks a Collections Data Manager to join a team dedicated to providing full digital access to the African American Art Collection of over 3000 works.
The Collections Data Manager will be responsible for retrospective cataloguing of the Hampton University Museums Fine Arts Collection in the cataloging system, PAST PERFECT utilizing best practices in the cataloguing of works of art. Reporting to the Director, and working closely with the Curator of Collections, the Collections Manager, will focus on transcribing a critical mass of information about the Museum’s Fine Art Collection from source documents such as curatorial files, accession records, and Data bases.
- · Perform data “clean-up” as needed.
- · Assist in the implementation of data standards and data entry guidelines.
- · Coordinate with PastPerfect to facilitate the Data Conversion from two Excel Spread Sheets to PastPerfect
- · Organize, compile, and digitize (as needed) source documents relating to individual works of art in the collection.
- · Enter compiled data in collections information management system (PAST PERFECT) adhering to established standards and guidelines.
- · Confer regularly with Museum team to ensure accuracy of information and the use of appropriate authority tools
- · Coordinate with Curatorial Team to work with Student Interns
- · Train Staff on new developments with PastPefect
- · Attend weekly team meetings.
- Ideal candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree in art, art history, museum studies, information sciences, or related discipline. One must have the ability to work independently and efficiently to produce consistent, high quality results over long-term project. The candidate must also possess a high degree of organization, self-motivation, and great attention to detail is critical; excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- The candidate should have an interest in museums, art history, visual culture and show proficiency using multiple operating systems (Windows,) and basic software including Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Photo Shop. Past experience with Excel and PAST PERFECT is essential.
- The position reports to the Director and the Curator of Collections
- Schedule: 40 hours per week
- This position is a 3 year, full-time, grant funded position. No benefits are provided
How to Apply
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants should submit a Hampton University Application for Employment for faculty, a letter outlining the candidate's experience in the museum field, experience with data entry and museum registration, a resume, and three letters of recommendation on company letterhead. Applications may be submitted electronically to email@example.com or mailed to:
Vanessa D. Thaxton-Ward, Ph. D.
Hampton University Museum
Hampton, VA 23668