Company Name: Heritage Alliance of NETN & SWVA, Jonesborough, TN
Title of Position: Programming Coordinator
Position Type: Part Time – Up to 28 hours per week, includes some evenings and weekends
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Programming Coordinator is responsible for exhibit planning, installation, and programing in the museums operated by the Heritage Alliance. The Programming Coordinator, working in tandem with the Chester Inn Museum’s Head Docent, is responsible for maintaining the archival collections of the Heritage Alliance using proper collections record keeping and preservation techniques. Additionally, the Programming Coordinator is responsible for collection research, exhibit planning and implementation, and coordinates with the Executive Director and museum personnel on the development and initiation of educational and outreach programs for the Heritage Alliance. The Programming Coordinator shall advise the Executive Director on the current state of the museums, and make recommendations for acquisitions and de-accession in concert with foundation and museum missions. The Programming Coordinator shall inform and advise the Board of Trustees regarding conservation needs including environmental conditions, storage, feasibility of exhibition or collections movement, and direct care of the artifacts.
The Programming Coordinator shall possess an understanding of the use of material culture to interpret history.
Programming Coordinator Responsibilities
- 1. Responsible for collection security
- 2. Responsible for registration and cataloguing for the collections of the Heritage Alliance
- 3. Monitors collection conservation needs and keeps Executive Director informed on exhibit and collection condition
- 1. Plans and implements permanent and temporary exhibits in the museums operated by the Heritage Alliance
- 2. Plans and implements interpretative and educational programs for a wide range of audiences that correspond with exhibits
- 3. Responsible for collection research activities
- 4. Maintains a verifiable collection data base source
- 5. Provides tours of the museums and the town of Jonesborough
Bachelor’s Degree in history, Museum Studies, education or related field is required. Work experience should include museum employment (at least one year) and familiarity with standard museum operation procedures, collection care. Desirable skills: carpentry, word processing, data base entry, writing, public speaking, and grant writing.
How to Apply: Email Resume, Cover letter and two letters of reference to Anne Mason at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.
The Heritage Alliance is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.