Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage, a National Historic Landmark historic site, seeks a Collections Manager to care for and manage collections which include nearly all the original furnishings of the Hermitage mansion. The Collections Manager has primary responsibility for the care and management of the collections (objects, documents, photographs, and print material) owned and lent to the Andrew Jackson Foundation for exhibition, research, and interpretive purposes.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process and update collections records (both digital and paper) including accessioning, registration, cataloging, and condition reporting.
- Perform periodic collections inventories and rehouse materials as needed.
- Assist with installation and de-installation of exhibits and room furnishings.
- Monitor environmental conditions in collections areas.
- Draft policies and procedures relating to care and management of collections.
- Ensure a secure environment for collections by working with Security, Site Operations and Collections, Interpretation and Guest Services staff.
- Oversee workmen, media personnel and others requiring access to historic areas.
- Supervise employees, volunteers, and interns working in Collections areas.
- Conduct historic research related to the site and collections.
- Complete registration data on all incoming and outgoing loans and ensure that all loan renewals and paperwork are up-to-date.
- Supervise and conduct cleaning of all historic buildings and collections areas and provide specialized cleaning for collection materials.
- Provide information to staff and non-staff researchers.
- Serve as a member of the Collections Department Emergency response team.
- Manage reproduction and distribution of images of collection materials.
- Provide reports in a timely manner.
- Perform job function and conduct daily operations, consistent with Hermitage policies and procedures.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with special tours of the Hermitage Mansion.
- Sit on Hermitage committees as requested by the Curator.
- Interact with Hermitage visitors, guests and staff in a friendly, informative manner.
- Assist with special programs and events.
- Ensure safety of staff and visitors by looking for and reporting all safety concerns to a member of the Safety Committee.
- Assist with preparation of budgets for Collections Department.
- Advise supervisor and Chief of Museum Operations on Department needs.
- Assist with funding proposals and grants related to Collections Department.
Requirements: Master’s degree in Museum Studies, History or related area; five years related collections experience, and ability to perform moderate physical work. Experience with collections management software (PastPerfect), demonstrate teamwork and good interpersonal skills; present a professional demeanor, and maintain confidentiality. Qualified applicants will be asked to consent to, and pass, a background check as condition of employment.
The position is full-time, with full benefits, including vacation, sick leave, medical, and a 401K retirement savings plan. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Send cover letter, resume, and three references to: Collections, The Hermitage, 4580 Rachel’s Lane, Hermitage, TN 37076 or firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone calls. EOE. Applications accepted through August 30, 2019.