Belle Meade Plantation: Historic Interpreter
Belle Meade Plantation is seeking upbeat and outgoing individuals to join our hospitality-oriented team. Interpreters conduct tours of Belle Meade Plantation for diverse audiences. As communications professionals, interpreters are responsible for presenting a variety of tours, programs, and demonstrations to guests by using informal interpretation techniques. Aside from tours, interpreters preform front end ticketing duties, guest orientation, and general office work as needed to support the company goals. A team mentality is a must. No previous museum experience is required.
- · Interpreters conduct tours through the house in period attire for guests of all ages in a personable and knowledgeable manner and provide accurate information relevant to the major themes in the site’s history.
- · Interpreters welcome the public, collect tickets, and give general orientational directions to guests pertaining to exhibits and points of interest on site.
- · Must have a customer service attitude and be prepared to interact with large groups of people daily.
- · Interpreters assist in providing security for the site, buildings and collections. They help ensure the safety of guests and respond calmly and professionally to emergencies following institutional guidelines.
- · Must actively participate in training programs and staff meetings to expand knowledge of the site and to strengthen interpretive skills. Interpreters are required to update and modify their tours as new or relevant information becomes available and for changing exhibits.
- · Interpreters assist with special events and programs, often held on the weekends and evenings.
- · Interpreters lead guided educational tours and programs for school-age groups
- · Will be assigned office work or projects to complete when not giving tours
- · Complete other duties as assigned
The interpreter must have excellent oral communication skills and demonstrated experience working with the public. Must be articulate, reliable, and have a neat appearance. The interpreter must be able to assimilate information and impart it in an engaging, coherent, and factual manner. Must demonstrate initiative, leadership qualities and flexibility. Public speaking and/ or teaching experience with an interest in history is ideal. Bachelor’s degree is preferred but not required. Must be available as scheduled; including weekends and holidays. Belle Meade is open daily from 9am-5pm.
Please send your resume to email@example.com to apply