The Membership and Development Coordinator works in the AASLH office in Nashville, Tennessee, to build the association’s growing institutional and individual membership base, develop programs related to membership, fundraising, and marketing, and assist other staff handling the membership database, conferences, educational and training programs, awards program, and other AASLH activities. The membership coordinator also organizes the AASLH committee structure and appointment processes and helps support AASLH’s Standards and Excellence Program for History Organizations (StEPs). We are looking for an energetic professional with membership experience and training in and a passion for history, who understands the needs and expectations of AASLH members, and who can help the organization reach new audiences.
The Membership and Development Coordinator must have a strong ability to communicate key concepts, as the coordinator will produce content for the organization’s publications and communication pieces. The coordinator must also have excellent oral communications skills, an aptitude for tracking, calculating, and analyzing membership and marketing numbers; strong customer service skills; and the ability to manage multiple projects at the same time with attention to detail. Knowledge of social networks, mobile devices, and online communication required. Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, web design, and contact management systems, and advanced knowledge of Excel, preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Improve membership benefits program and find new ways to enhance the membership experience
- Develop and execute programs and processes to increase the total number of individual and institutional members
- Develop and help execute specific processes for recruitment, renewals, retention, and reclamation via print and electronic mailings and other methods
- Track membership information and create reports on membership trends and the effects of all AASLH membership marketing efforts
- Update website features pertaining to membership, member benefits, and members’ general interaction with AASLH and its activities
- Create and execute new processes for Academic Program Memberships and for Institutional Partners
- Coordinate development efforts for annual fundraising and planned gifts programs, from data set creation to ‘thank you’ letters
- Assist in coordinating social media communications as they pertain to membership
- Assist with the Standards and Excellence Program for History Organizations (StEPs)
Master’s in History, Public History, Museum Studies, or closely related field is preferred, but not required. Minimum two years cumulative work experience for a nonprofit membership association or a public history institution, such as a museum, historical society, humanities council, or a related agency, business, or institution. As a part of membership-building, the coordinator must be familiar with the wide variety of AASLH members who preserve and interpret state and local history, thus it is necessary to have knowledge of historical practices/methods, and professional skills or abilities related to one or more of the following: archives, libraries, historic preservation, historical interpretation, historical education, museum exhibits/curation, fundraising, cultural tourism, historical consulting, archaeology, cultural resource management, or oral history. Significant experience and knowledge supporting membership and/or marketing is preferred.
Submit in one PDF or other file a persuasive cover letter, your resume, and list of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin December 17 and continue until the position is filled. Anticipated start date is January-February 2019. AASLH is an equal opportunity employer.
AASLH is a growing national non-profit membership association with a primary focus on history professionals, history volunteers, museums, historical societies, and related organizations. Setting best practices for the field and advocating for history, AASLH has long helped sustain history organizations through its publications program, annual conference, continuing education, and other programs. We emphasize the relevance of history, build diversity and inclusiveness, and cultivate an experimental and creative spirit within the association and among its constituents and partners.
- Location: Nashville, Tennessee, 37212, United States
- Job ID: 44983124
- Posted: November 15, 2018
- Position Title: Membership & Development Coordinator
- Company Name: AASLH
- Job Function: Membership
- Entry Level: No
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Job Duration: Indefinite
- Min Education: BA/BS/Undergraduate
- Min Experience: 2-3 Years
- Required Travel: 0-10%
- Salary: $35,000.00 - $39,000.00 (Yearly Salary)