Marketing and Communications Coordinator
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Position Title: Marketing and Communications Coordinator
Company Name: Customs House Museum & Cultural Center
Job Function: Marketing/Communications
Job Type: Full-Time, Exempt, Tuesday through Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Minimum Education: B.A.
Minimum Experience: 2 years preferred
The Clarksville-Montgomery County Museum, doing business as the Customs House Museum & Cultural Center (CHM&CC), opened to the public in 1984 in the historic 1898 Federal Building which originally served as Clarksville, Tennessee’s Post Office and Customs House. The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, and the building’s unusual architecture has since earned the reputation of being one of the most photographed structures in the state. In 1996, an addition was added to the historic structure, increasing the facility to approximately 50,000 square feet, making it the second largest general interest museum in Tennessee. The Museum operates as a recognized nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) U.S. organization governed by a Board of Trustees. CHM&CC is operated by a professional staff of 17 full- and part-time employees in addition to this position and is open to the public six days a week.
CHM&CC’s mission is to collect, preserve and interpret historical, artistic, and scientific material; its vision is to expose the widest audience possible to the creativity and ingenuity of the human spirit through art, science, and history within the context of cultural diversity. Its collection of 21,000+ objects primarily focuses on materials related to Clarksville, Montgomery County, its people, and their stories. In addition to its long-term and interactive exhibits, the Museum annually mounts approximately thirty changing exhibitions, including traveling exhibitions or internally curated ones drawn from loans and/or objects from the permanent collection. In addition, CHM&CC offers extensive educational programming for all ages.
Clarksville, Tennessee, the county seat of Montgomery County, has a population of over 150,000, and is the fifth largest city in the state. It is located 50 miles northwest of Nashville. The community offers a low cost of living and no state income tax.
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator oversees and implements internal and external communications related to institution-wide marketing of the Museum. The main objective is to increase visibility, engagement, and revenue growth through social media, website, and other marketing collateral. The Marketing and Communications Coordinator must be able to produce timely newsletters, brochures, advertisements, billboards, annual reports, presentations, and other marketing initiatives as needed for promoting the museum’s service to the community. The Marketing and Communications Coordinator reports to the Executive Director.
1. Develop and monitor a strategic communications plan supportive of the Museum’s mission and values in cooperation with staff and Board committee members;
2. Design, regularly update, and maintain the Museum’s website and social media outlets, including various aspects of content management;
3. Plan, develop, create, edit, and produce a variety of high quality content, including: webpages, email blasts, digital/print newsletters, press releases, announcements, billboards, brochures, photographs, video, and other collateral;
4. Recognize and acknowledge sponsors of the Museum’s programming and fundraising activities;
5. Monitor the Museum’s web presence in forums that include public reviews;
6. Analyze and improve effectiveness of external communications and search engine optimization by utilizing Google Analytics, implementing surveys, retrieving information from customer relationship management software, etc.;
7. Coordinate physical distribution of marketing and promotional materials;
8. May occasionally present onsite tours of the facilities for marketing purposes;
9. Identify and track community and regional demographics to strengthen and grow audience base through target marketing;
10. Maintain physical and digital archive of museum publications;
11. Supervise part-time Marketing Assistant and potential interns;
12. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in one of the following is required: Graphic Design, Marketing, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, English, or related discipline;
2. Minimum of two years of demonstrable experience related to position preferred;
3. Experience in graphic design and related software; familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and Creative Cloud preferred;
- Proficiency in website content management system, WordPress preferred, and fundamental understanding of HTML and CSS languages;
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Publisher) required, and email marketing platforms such as Constant Contact and SurveyMonkey preferred;
- Knowledge of Website production and maintenance;
7. Experience using DSLR camera and video equipment;
- Experience with video editing software preferred;
9. Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy with proven ability to effectively manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines, creatively troubleshoot, work independently and effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams;
- Professional demeanor and excellent people skills;
- Aptitude with data analysis, technology platforms and social media monitoring tools;
12. Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
13. Prior experience working with a nonprofit organization and/or museum preferred.
Benefits include vacation, paid holidays, sick leave, and employee optional health/vision/life/dental insurance.
Procedure for Application
Applicants should electronically submit a current CV or résumé, letter of application stating interest in the position and related experience, salary requirements, and the names of three professional references.
Submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Marketing and Communications Coordinator Search.