Membership and Office Coordinator
American Association for State and Local History
Full-time Exempt Position
Salary Range: $40,000-43,000/year
Mission of AASLH:
AASLH provides leadership and resources to help the history community thrive and make the past more meaningful to all people.
AASLH Core Values:
- We are big picture focused. We don’t let the urgency of daily tasks cloud our view of the mission.
- We are learners. We seek out opportunities to grow, acquire knowledge, attain new skills, and share it all with others.
- We are not afraid of risks. We find the best solutions, even if that means trying something new or changing the way we’ve always done it.
- We are positive and supportive. We celebrate the good, lift each other up, and reject the temptation to be snarky.
- We are enthusiastic collaborators. We embrace opportunities to work with others—even when it seems easier to just do it ourselves.
The Membership and Office Coordinator serves as the liaison between AASLH members and the AASLH member database as well as providing team support for the AASLH staff. They offer front-line service AASLH members and potential members and coordinate member mailings, renewals, and other vital membership communications. Additionally, they coordinate and/or carry out office processes, services, and activities. This is not a remote position.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communications/Reception: Provide customer service to AASLH members and potential members as central receptionist and through general inquiry phone calls and emails. Occasionally draft replies on routine matters for staff member’s signatures.
- Membership Services: Answer routine inquiries via phone and email regarding memberships and other customer services. Execute regular mailings/emailings to members and potential members including invoices and new member kits. Promote membership in the Association. Serve as back up staff contact for AASLH website and technical issues.
- Database Coordination: Answer inquiries via phone and email regarding Member Suite (database system) and Elevate (learning management system) usage. Coordinate input in the AASLH membership database, including, but not limited to, producing invoices, entering payments for all transactions in the database, and generating month-end reports and input verification. Provide additional database management services, including, but not limited to, producing reports as requested by other staff, conducting ongoing file clean up, and setting up products and events. Serve as back up staff contact for AASLH website and technical issues. Provide files for our outside vendors such as PastPerfect, JSTOR, etc.
- Office Coordination: Prepare and distribute incoming mail; prepare outgoing mail, including bulk mailings of printed material, and packaging. Serve as main contact for USPS. Coordinate messenger and shipping services. Service minor repairs of furniture and equipment, and maintenance of copiers. Serve as main contact with IT company and copier company. Purchase office supplies and organize storage of supplies and materials. Maintain the office's working and archive files and keep current by filing and retrieving material, establishing new folders and sections as needed, and periodically purging files of outdated materials. Maintain common areas of office.
- Finance: Responsible for daily check deposits and payment postings. Helps with financial reports in Member Suite requested by staff and accounting firm. Review and send open invoices monthly. Submit check request for invoices received for payment.
- Annual Conference: Serve as registration support for the Annual Conference including producing registration materials/tickets and staffing registration desk at the event. Attends Annual Conference in September.
- Other projects as assigned.
The Membership and Office Coordinator must have strong written and oral communications skills. They should have the ability to manage multiple projects at the same time with attention to detail and have strong organizational skills. Proficiency in Excel is required. Experience with QuickBooks is a plus. Database experience preferred as is work history at a nonprofit organization or a public history institution, such as a museum, historical society, humanities council, or a related agency, business, or institution.
Submit resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin January 15 and continue until the position is filled. The anticipated start date is early/mid February.
The American Association for State and Local History, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, is a national membership association serving those who preserve and interpret history. AASLH provides leadership and resources to help the history community thrive and make the past more meaningful to all people. From its headquarters in Nashville, Tennessee, AASLH conducts research and advocacy efforts, publishes books, technical publications, and a magazine and maintains numerous affinity groups and committees serving a broad range of constituents across the historical community. The association also sponsors online professional development training, regional and national training workshops, and an annual meeting. For more information, visit https://aaslh.org/.
AASLH is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.