Job Description — Marketing Communications Manager
Position: Marketing Communications Manager
Location: Customs House Museum & Cultural Center
Job Type: Full-Time
Reports to: Executive Director
The Marketing Communications Manager is a key team player that works collaboratively with the Marketing Design Manager and other staff to implement internal and external marketing initiatives related to institution-wide promotion of the Museum. The main objective guiding this position is to increase visibility, engagement and revenue growth through timely marketing strategies that include but are not limited to developing and managing social media content, developing other marketing collateral and analyzing the effectiveness of marketing strategies. The Individual in this position is also responsible for managing content for web-, community-, and internal-based calendars. The Marketing Communications Manager serves as the Museum’s marketing representative within the community.
The functions of this position as listed below serve as guidelines. There may be instances when responsibilities of this position and that of the Marketing Design Manager overlap. Any necessary clarification will be provided by the designated supervisor of both these positions.
1. Develop and post engaging social media, web and blog content that promotes the Museum, its mission and its programming;
2. Collaborate with the Marketing Design Manager to refresh and maintain the Museum’s website and in Museum digital screens, including various aspects of content management;
3. Monitor web forums containing public reviews of the Museum; gather and respond to comments when required;
4. Represent the Museum at community meetings and events that provide useful marketing opportunities; 5. Analyze and improve effectiveness of external communications and search engine optimization by utilizing Google Analytics, implementing surveys, retrieving information from customer relationship management software, etc.;
6. Identify and track community and regional demographics to strengthen and grow audience base through target marketing;
7. Manage Marketing department staff including freelancers and interns as necessary;
8. Collaborate with the Marketing Design Manager to provide marketing materials required by the Museum Guild for fundraising purposes;
9. Create or obtain photographic and video imagery for marketing purposes;
10. Expand and maintain press release mailing list;
11. Coordinate physical distribution of marketing and promotional materials;
12. Develop and manage a Strategic Communications Plan supportive of the Museum’s mission and values in cooperation with staff and Board committee members;
13. Collaborate with the Marketing Design Manager to develop and implement ways to recognize and acknowledge sponsors of the Museum’s programming and fundraising activities
14. Occasionally present onsite tours of the facilities for marketing purposes;
15. Prepare visual content and plan marketing strategies for Museum Magazine including maintaining online presence;
16. When required, the Marketing Communications Manager may be asked to temporarily cover partial duties of the Marketing Design Manager;
17. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
1. Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgement
2. Experience creating marketing strategies using various social media platforms required; familiarity in graphic design and related software (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite and Creative Cloud) preferred; 3. Strong aptitude with data analysis, technology platforms, and social media monitoring tools; 4. Proficiency in website content management system, WordPress preferred, and fundamental understanding of HTML and CSS languages;
5. Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Publisher) required, and email marketing platforms such as Mailchimp and SurveyMonkey preferred;
6. Experience using DSLR camera required, and proficiency with video equipment and software preferred; 7. Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy with proven ability to effectively manage multiple priorities, establish and meet deadlines, creatively troubleshoot, work independently, and effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams;
8. Professional demeanor and excellent people skills;
9. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Working at desk and utilizing a computer for prolonged periods of time;
2. Periodic standing, walking, bending, climbing, and stooping, and the ability to lift 20 pounds; 3. Good hearing and vision
4. Good eye/hand coordination.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in one of the following is required: Marketing, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, English, or related discipline. Minimum of two years of demonstrable experience related to position preferred.
This is a full-time at-will position, and primary days and hours of work are a minimum of 40 hours per week, Monday thru Friday. This position occasionally requires longer hours and/or weekend work. Pay periods are semi monthly on the 15thand last day of each month.
This position may require 0-5% travel time.
Salary is $38,000+ based on qualifications and interview. The Museum offers all full-time employees paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave. Health Insurance for employee is paid 100%. Benefits are also available for dental, vision, life, AD&D, short-term disability/accidents and SIMPLE IRA participation. Potential for professional development opportunities.
Apply via email with cover letter, resume and references to:
Frank Lott, Executive Director at: email@example.com
All new or vacant positions at the Clarksville-Montgomery County Museum, d.b.a. the Customs house Museum & Cultural Center will be filled by the selection of only fully qualified applicants, regardless of race color, gender, religion, national origin, age, or disability who meet the job related criterial of the job description. All potential employees will undergo a background check, and must provide proof of being able to legally work in the U.S. Employees who have cause to drive their own vehicle and/or Museum vehicle for approved Museum business must have a valid driver’s license and proof of auto insurance.