Position: Curator of Education
Location: Customs House Museum & Cultural Center
Job Type: Full-Time
Reports to: Executive Director
\\Chmts\usershares\Vicki\Documents\CHM_Company\Job Descriptions\Curator of Education_2021-11.docx
The Curator of Education is responsible for developing, in collaboration with the Curator of Collections, and Curator of Exhibitions, exhibitions and programming, activities, materials and events that attract and serve a wide range of audiences, including schools.
1. Managing and developing partnerships with schools to offer curriculum-based programs related to the museum’s collection, in the museum and/or in schools and other institutions;
2. Setting standards for all programming
3. Liaison with schools, community groups and other target audiences to arrange a program of field trips, guided tours and/or demonstrations.
4. Scheduling of museum in public speaking engagements and media talks in coordination with the Executive Director and/or the Curator of Collections and Exhibits.
5. Collaborating in the design of exhibitions and other public programming to enhance the educational value of exhibits.
6. Preparation of publications or media-based products for schools and/or other programming.
7. Supervision and/or preparation of all publication content related to Education Associate.
8. Developing, implementing and/or supervising programs related to the museum’s collection or mission. 9. Booking, scheduling and staffing school groups and public group tours;
10. Perform administrative duties as assigned in the absence of the Executive Director
11. Knowledge of the Museum’s exhibitions and mission;
12. Management and care of two interactive galleries
13. Although the Curator of Education is not responsible for doing all of the things listed below, the person is responsible for scheduling someone to attend to the items below:
Replacement of broken or worn out components
Addition of new components or stations
Monthly cleaning of Bubble Cave
Matters of safety
14. Other duties as determined by the Executive Director
Customs House Museum & Cultural Center Page 2 Job Description – Curator of Education November 11, 2022 Curator of Education_2021-11a
This job description is not designed to cover or contain all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
1. Proven management ability
2. Ability to design and implement programs, including exhibits and publications
3. Demonstrated ability in communications and museum education techniques
4. Knowledge of objectives and curricula of the school system
5. Excellent communications and language skills
6. Knowledge of visitor behavior and needs
7. Knowledge of the museum’s collection
8. Knowledge of evaluation methods
9. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Working at desk and utilizing a computer for prolonged periods of time;
2. Periodic standing, walking, bending, climbing, and stooping, and the ability to lift 20 pounds;
3. Good hearing and vision
4. Good eye/hand coordination.
Education and Experience
Degree in education or museum studies
This is a full-time at-will position, and primary days and hours of work are a minimum of 40 hours per week, Monday thru Friday. This position occasionally requires longer hours and/or weekend work. Pay periods are semi monthly on the 15th and the last day of each month.
This position may require 0-5% travel time.
Salary is $40,000+ based on qualifications and interview. The Museum offers all full-time employees paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave. Health Insurance for employee is paid 100%. Benefits are also available for dental, vision, life, AD&D, short-term disability/accidents and SIMPLE IRA participation. Potential for professional development opportunities.
Apply via email with cover letter, resume and references to:
Frank Lott, Executive Director at: email@example.com
All new or vacant positions at the Clarksville-Montgomery County Museum, d.b.a. the Customs house Museum & Cultural Center will be filled by the selection of only fully qualified applicants, regardless of race color, gender, religion, national origin, age, or disability who meet the job related criterial of the job description. All potential employees will undergo a background check, and must provide proof of being able to legally work in the U.S. Employees who have cause to drive their own vehicle and/or Museum vehicle for approved Museum business must have a valid driver’s license and proof of auto insurance.