Supreme Court Records Processing Assistant (Part-time)
Tennessee Department of State
Tennessee State Library and Archives
Archival Collection Services
Mission: The mission of the Office of the Secretary of State is to exceed the expectations of our customers, the taxpayers, by operating at the highest levels of accuracy, cost effectiveness, and accountability in a customer-centered environment.
Supervisor: Director of Archival Collection Services
Summary: Process historic Tennessee Supreme Court case files as part of a larger processing team. Tasks include document analysis, data entry, basic cleaning, and rehousing of case files.
• Perform basic surface cleaning on case file documents, removing metal or other fasteners. Prepare page count for future copy orders.
• Read and analyze each case for key descriptive information.
• Enter information into a Microsoft Access database which is searchable online. • Rehouse cases in archival folders and boxes, keeping careful track of newly-assigned box numbers.
• Some case files require handling of case exhibits, including 3-dimensional objects, photographs, maps, and other items requiring separate storage.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• High school diploma and college-level coursework in American History.
Knowledge and Abilities:
• Ability to decipher 18th and 19th century handwriting.
• Ability to quickly scan and distill information from large case files.
• Basic understanding of legal and judicial proceedings.
• Experienced descriptive writing skills; experience with cataloging/metadata is preferred.
• Ability to recognize topics, names and organizations from Tennessee history. • Familiarity with MS Access or other relational databases.
• Ability to handle boxes and equipment weighing a minimum of forty (40) pounds.
Health, safety and collections security:
• Assist the organization in creating a safe and healthy working environment by working safely with the equipment provided.
• Follow instructions given for health and safety purposes and immediately report any unsafe working practices or hazardous working conditions.
• Take all measures necessary to protect the collections from loss, mutilation or theft. Note: This is a temporary part-time position and may be renewed on an annual basis. Salary: $15.00/hour To apply, please email your letter of interest and resume to the Division of Human Resources & Organizational Development, firstname.lastname@example.org.