State of Tennessee Job Information
Opening Date/Time Wed 04/28/2021 12:00AM Central Time
Closing Date/Time Tue 05/18/2021 11:59PM Central Time
Salary (Monthly) $3,534.00
Salary (Annually) $42,408.00
Job Type Full-Time
City, State Location Nashville, TN
Department Tennessee State Museum
LOCATION OF (1) POSITION TO BE FILLED: TENNESSEE STATE MUSEUM, DAVIDSON COUNTY
Education and Experience: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree and experience equivalent to four years in one or a combination of the following: any professional museum work, including the preservation of artifacts or the management of historic sites; professional work teaching art, history, or museum science; the maintenance of library collections; or exhibit design work.
Substitution of Education for Experience: Graduate coursework credit in museum science, art, history, and/or library science from an accredited college or university may substitute for the required experience, on a year for year basis, to a maximum of two years (e.g. 36 graduate quarter hours in one or a combination of the above listed fields may substitute for one year of the required experience).
Four years of experience as a Museum Assistant Registrar with the State of Tennessee.
Necessary Special Qualifications:
Complete a background clearance application which includes releasing all records involving any criminal history.
A valid motor vehicle operator's license is required.
Examination Method: Education and Experience, 100%, for Career Service positions.
Summary: Under general supervision, is responsible for professional museum registration work of considerable difficulty; and performs related work as required.
Distinguishing Features: An employee in this class is responsible for all artifact accessioning and for the documentation, care, and preservation of all artifacts in the museum collection. This class may also supervise others working in the collections division.
1. Negotiates the terms and conditions for the loan of objects from other museums and private entities; ensures that objects on loan will be properly stored and displayed according to established criteria such as climate, material, or other environmental standards; arranges for the shipping of museum objects through appropriate carriers to ensure appropriate handling and the safe transit of objects being shipped.
2. Monitors the acquisition of an object, including the maintenance of temporary locations, cataloging by curators, and photo-documentation; works with risk management as necessary to obtain adequate insurance coverage for museum collections and objects on loan to the museum.
3. Registers and assigns accession and catalog numbers to all incoming museum objects; oversees the maintenance of the record keeping including the accession, condition, and location of objects within the museum; ensures all existing objects are appropriately registered and that existing records are accurate.
4. Establishes proper storage system and locations for museum objects to ensure their safety; oversees standards and procedures for case design, environmental control, including temperature, moisture level, light level; oversees transportation, treatment, installation, material selection, and handling of the collection for loan, exhibition, and storage.
5. Monitors the implementation of the museum computer system and the entry of collection records into that database system; assures that collection records are being correctly entered and maintained; establishes procedures for conducting the inventory of collections and oversees the implementation of inventory procedures.
6. Researches history of museum objects; records information on computer system or in other appropriate form; establishes files containing historical descriptive information; conducts searches and retrieves records and objects in response to public or professional inquiries.