The Lawrence County Archives has an opening for a full-time assistant
archivist. The person hired will become the archivist in charge of the
archives in January of 2019. Qualifications and specifics are below.
The Lawrence County Public Records Commission is now accepting
applications for the position of
The person hired will be in training to become Director of the Lawrence
County Archives January 1, 2019
1. A working knowledge of computers using Microsoft Word, Excel, and
databases such as Microsoft Access. Experience in researching online
databases such as Ancestry, Fold3, Familysearch, and Find-A-Grave a plus.
2. Effective written and oral communication skills, basic mathematical
skills dealing with money transactions, bookkeeping knowledge, and
experience in customer service.
3. Experience or the ability to quickly learn how to use a copy machine, a
scanner, and a microfilm reader/scanner.
4. Experience or the ability to quickly obtain a basic knowledge of local
county history, geography, and culture, including reading old maps.
5. Prior knowledge of genealogical research methods, including title
searches in deed and tax records desired.
6. Experience or the ability to quickly learn how to access the various
court records found in the different local government offices. The ability
to read and transcribe 1800s handwritten documents is definitely a plus.
7. An Associate's degree in American history, with some courses geared
toward archival procedures or experience in archival work, OR a high
school diploma (or GED), plus 2-3 years of experience in archives work.
8. If not already certified, the successful candidate will be required to
go through certification courses and workshops in archives management in
the Archives Institute offered through the Tennessee State Library and
9. The ability to lift between 30 to 50 pounds.
Please submit resume to:
or mail to 2588 Highway 43 South, Leoma TN 38468
Resumes must be received before 4:30 p.m. Friday, August 24, 2018
Lawrence County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer