The President James K. Polk Home and Museum in Columbia, TN is seeking a Curator. The position’s role, responsibilities, and key performance areas include but are not limited to the following:
1) care and management of the museum’s collections of approximately 1,300 original artifacts and documents that belonged to or relate to President and Mrs. Polk;
2) general upkeep of the properties including the 1816 Polk Home, the detached kitchen, the 1818 Sisters’ House museum/visitor center, and Polk Presidential Hall exhibit gallery;
3) all aspects of exhibit work including research, design, artifact loans, and fabrication for the museum’s changing exhibits on James K. Polk, the U.S. presidency, and American society and culture during Polk’s lifetime;
4) collections recordkeeping and other registrarial duties;
5) coordinating conservation and preservation projects;
6) monitoring environmental conditions including light levels, temperature, and relative humidity;
7) serving as assistant site manager and helping with educational, administrative, clerical, and maintenance tasks at the discretion of the Executive Director;
8) serving as the Executive Director’s representative when needed;
9) preparing monthly reports for the board of directors.
Applicants must have at least five years of work experience with museum collections and exhibits. A bachelor’s degree in history, museum studies, or a related field is required; a graduate degree is preferred. Also preferred are experience with PastPerfect software and a knowledge of early 19th century American political history and material culture.
Qualified candidates must submit a letter of interest along with a resume including names, mailing addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of three references to Search Committee, President James K. Polk Home and Museum, P.O. Box 741, Columbia, TN 38402. The letter must be postmarked by June 16, 2018.
A competitive salary and benefits are provided.