Position: Paid Museum Collections Intern
Location: Customs House Museum & Cultural Center, 200 S. 2nd Street, Clarksville, TN 37040
Job Type: Part-time Seasonal (May-June 2018)
Classification: Part-Time Internship, Non-Exempt
Salaried/Hourly: $7.25 per hour (not to exceed 128 hours total)
Reports To: Curator of Collections
The Customs House Museum & Cultural Center in Clarksville, Tennessee has a opening for a part-time seasonal Collections Intern working alongside the Museum’s Curator of Collections. The successful candidate will assist the Curator of Collections with scanning, processing, and cataloging objects, photographs, and archival materials. The intern will gain experience in museum preservation, cataloging, scanning, photographing, labeling, and re-housing of the Museum’s collection.
The Customs House Museum & Cultural Center’s mission is to collect, preserve, and interpret historical, artistic, and scientific material; its vision is to expose the widest audience possible to the creativity and ingenuity of the human spirit through art, science, and history within the context of cultural diversity. Its collection of approximately 21,000 objects primarily focuses on materials related to Clarksville, Montgomery County, its people, and their stories.
The Museum opened to the public in 1984 in the historic 1898 Federal Building which originally served as Clarksville, Tennessee’s Post Office and Customs House. The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, and the building’s unusual architecture has since earned the reputation of being one of the most photographed structures in the state. In 1996, an addition was added to the historic structure, increasing the facility to approximately 50,000 square feet, which made it the second largest general interest museum in Tennessee.
1. Organize and file records and images;
2. Create records and enter information into Past Perfect Collections Management Database;
3. Photograph or scan items and add images to PastPerfect;
4. Complete condition reports;
5. Label items with identification numbers;
6. Re-house objects using appropriate materials;
7. Additional duties assigned by the Curator of Collections.
This internship description is not designed to cover or contain all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the intern. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
1. Knowledge and experience with correct artifact handling techniques;
- 2. Self-motivated with interpersonal skills;
3. Ability to work independently or with a team;
4. Knowledge of museum or archives procedures;
5. Experience with collections database software and standard computer skills;
6. Excellent written communication skills.
1. Periodic standing, walking, bending, and stooping, and the ability to lift 20 pounds;
2. Good hearing and vision;
3. Good eye/hand coordination;
4. Occasionally climbing a ladder.
This position will require 0-5% travel.
Education and Experience
Completion of coursework towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in History, Museum Studies, Public History, Art, or related field preferred.
1. This is a part-time seasonal internship during late spring and early summer of 2018, starting as soon as possible and ending by June 30, 2018;
2. The internship work schedule will be between Monday and Friday for no more than 8 hours per day and 30 hours per week;
3. The duration of the internship will be no more than 128 total hours;
4. Daily schedule and start date are negotiable.
Internships at the Customs House Museum & Cultural Center are filled by the best qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, or disability who meet the related criteria of the internship description. All potential interns will undergo a background check, must provide proof of being able to legally work in the U.S., and must provide proof of identification via a state or federal issued form of identification.
To be considered for this internship, email a cover letter and resume to Jim Zimmer, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org, with "COLLECTIONS INTERNSHIP" in the subject line.