Governor John Sevier Memorial Association/Marble Springs State Historic Site
The Gov. John Sevier Memorial Association (GJSMA) seeks an Executive Director for Marble Springs State Historic Site, home of Tennessee’s first governor. The site is a 35-acre property in Knoxville, TN owned by the Tennessee Historical Commission, with oversight and management of programs and operations by GJSMA, a private, non-profit organization.
Under general supervision of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for developing, coordinating, directing, and administering policies relating to all phases of public relations, site management, budgeting, fiscal management, volunteer coordination, and special event promotion.
- 1. Plans and implements policies and procedures for all areas of public relations.
- 2. Relates policies and regulations to new employees and volunteers through formal orientation program.
- 3. Participates in area service and civic groups to gather information and seek support on behalf of the site.
- 4. Continues to seek and obtain support of the business community and prospective private donors.
- 5. Develops and maintains current knowledge of public relations principles and practices
With Staff Assistance:
- 6. Establishes, coordinates, and maintains quarterly newsletter.
- 7. Organizes and establishes continuing internal communications for GJSMA.
- 8. Orders needed forms, supplies, and goods as authorized within GJSMA’s budget and prescribed policies.
- 9. Develops and presents budget for annual operations, financial reports, and income generating proposals.
- 10. Makes available to GJSMA board newspaper, radio, and television accounts of items of general concern that impact GJSMA
- 11. Develops rapport with media, community, and other local, regional, and national historic organizations
- 12. Contacts media to promote the site, and encourages open hours and tours.
- 13. Develops displays and aids to promote a better understanding of site operations and objectives.
- 14. Develops and manages membership recruitment programs.
- 15. Represents site and GJSMA at conferences relative to public relations and community activities.
- 16. In conjunction with board, develops and updates long-range plan.
- 17. Engages in conservation programs for collections care and preservation.
- 18. Maintains collections database.
- 19. Maintains a relationship with and serves as site representative for Historic Homes of Knoxville and other community organizations.
- 20. Assists in the development of plans and policies related to public relations and public access.
- 21. Organizes volunteer support to ensure public acess to site.
- 22. Organizes and maintains website, Web 2.0, social media, and electronic communication updates as necessary to keep the public, membership, and board informed of events and activities.
- 23. Identifies and prepares grant applications in support of GJSMA goals.
- 24. Performs any related duties as assigned.
The salary is up to $36,000 depending on education and experience.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- 1. Thorough knowledge of principles of effective communications and mass media, publicity, advertising, policies, education, community relations, demonstration, organization structure, social service, and government relations as they relate to public parks, historic museums, and non-profit organizations.
- 2. Ability to plan, organize, and effectively present ideas and concepts to groups. Ability to assimilate information from a variety of sources, analyze information, and recommend courses of action to be taken.
- 3. Ability to establish and maintain effective working and public relations. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- 4. Demonstrated knowledge and experience of the use of mass media. Government and community relations experience is desirable.
- 5. BA or equivalent degree in history, museum studies, historic preservation, public history, or related discipline (MA preferred) with proven track record in non-profit or historic site/museum management
Deadline for applications is Nov. 30. Send cover letter and résumé to Brooke Maner, President of GJSMA Board of Directors, at firstname.lastname@example.org or to following mailing address:
ATTN: Search Committee
Gov. John Sevier Memorial Association/Marble Springs State Historic Site
P.O. Box 20195
Knoxville, Tennessee 37940