Marketing & Social Media Coordinator
Classification: Exempt Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: Tuesday – Saturday, 9:30 am – 5:00 pm. Additional hours may be required during events.
Description of the Museum and Its Mission
The Metal Museum is the only museum of its kind in the country dedicated to the advancement of the art and craft of fine metalwork. The Museum engages the metals community and the surrounding region through exhibitions, collections of fine metalwork, educational programs and publications featuring artists of national and international importance to the field. The permanent collection and exhibition program reflect a wide range and mixture of metalsmithing, including ferrous and nonferrous metals, hollowware, jewelry and architectural elements. With its unique focus on artwork and fine crafts made in metal, the Metal Museum helps initiate and promote dialogue and understanding of the field and its relevance in our modern culture.
Lead and strategize marketing and communications efforts of the Metal Museum. Support the project management and coordination of marketing materials, both press and non-press communications, and manage the Museum’s website and online presence.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
1. Coordinate and execute all marketing activities for museum exhibitions and programs, including e-newsletters, annual report, press releases/kits, event signage, online calendar updates, social media and presentations.
2. Manage marketing and social media timelines, ensuring that other Museum employees and contractors meet content and design deadlines.
3. Act as primary liaison to graphic designer to strategize visual branding tactics and language for the Museum’s print and digital collateral.
4. Build relationships with the community and media locally, nationally, internationally and within the metalsmithing community.
5. Respond to media inquiries, set up interviews and maintain a positive image for the Museum in the media.
6. Connect with local businesses about potential partnerships and cross-promotion around exhibitions and programs.
7. Maintain an active and scheduled social media presence, targeted to the Museum’s audience.
8. Work with staff members, interns, and volunteers to support their participation in social media activities and creation of promotional content.
9. Develop and implement strategies to effectively tell the story of the Metal Museum through its primary social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
10. Maintain website, creating and posting content for each exhibition, classes and events as needed.
11. Ensure that the website is up-to-date, accurate and reflects the visual brand of the Museum.
12. Maintain and coordinate collaboration on the website blog highlighting recent and upcoming news surrounding the Museum.
13. Oversee purchase, coordinate design, and place all print and digital advertising, performing research to place ads most effectively.
14. Work with Exhibitions & Collections Manager, Outreach & Education Coordinator, and the Metals Shop Coordinator to develop, implement, and track creative strategies to encourage deeper participation in Metal Museum programming and classes by both new and existing visitors and members.
15. Actively and enthusiastically represent the Metal Museum in the community. Must be proactive about attending arts-related events and programming in order to build and maintain relationships locally and nationally.
16. Be available to assist with visitor information in galleries and serve as a point of engagement when needed.
17. Other responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, greeting guests and acting as an attendant for the galleries, monitoring cleanliness of the buildings, conducting tours, assisting with events and performing other essential duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor degree, with a major in marketing, communications, art administration or public relations highly preferred.
Experience: Minimum 2 years experience in marketing or communications is required. Experience in marketing and communications in a museum or other arts organization highly preferred.
Skills/Abilities: Excellent project management skills with strong ability to work
on multiple projects at time
Deadline oriented with strong ability to meet quick deadlines
Ability to work closely and communicate with designers and
other employees to complete projects on time
Excellent problem solving skills
Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
Proficient in social media marketing trends and strategies
Familiarity with website design preferred
Digital marketing background preferred
Strong writing skills
Strong interpersonal/relational skills
Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
Strong attention to detail
Observant and willing to lend a hand wherever needed
Send a resumé, cover letter, three references, and a writing sample to
Deadline: Open until filled