Classification Reports to
Exempt Director of Collections and Exhibitions
Description of the Museum and Its Mission
The Metal Museum is the only museum of its kind in the country dedicated to the advancement of the art and craft of fine metalwork. The Museum engages the metals community and the surrounding region through exhibitions, collections of fine metalwork, educational programs and publications featuring artists of national and international importance to the field. The permanent collection and exhibition program reflect a wide range and mixture of metalsmithing, including ferrous and nonferrous metals, hollowware, jewelry and architectural elements. With its unique focus on artwork and fine crafts made in metal, the Metal Museum helps initiate and promote dialogue and understanding of the field and its relevance in our modern culture.
To support the preservation of and promote access to the Museum’s intellectual and physical collections, library holdings and archives through routine Registration duties and management of special Collections projects.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
1. Assist with grant writing for collections initiatives, including researching grants, writing project proposals, gathering support materials and submitting project budgets
2. Maintain minutes and other relevant notes/documentation pertaining to Collection Committee meetings
3. Assist in managing collections interns
4. Maintain the New Acquisitions gallery to showcase new additions to the collection
5. Work with Director of Collections and Exhibitions to develop travelling exhibitions of works from the permanent collection
6. Assist with exhibition installation, de-installation, and maintenance including gallery and exhibition furniture cleaning and maintenance
7. Create, update and maintain all records pertaining to the Museum object and library/archives collections, including accession, donor and catalog files and databases, images, institutional archives and other held properties
8. Coordinate and supervise photography of museum collections and temporary loan objects for catalogs, research requests and other documentation
9. Pack/unpack and condition report all art objects/books for Museum collections, including incoming/outgoing loans
10. Manage the cataloging and relocation of objects for Visible Storage, including identifying objects for relocation, updating and correcting accession and catalog records, recommending any conservation or restoration needs, physically relocating objects, and launching online catalog records
11. Manage the rehousing of the library collection into recently renovated compact storage rooms and transfer library records to Past Perfect database
12. Manage the digitization of slide archives, including identifying slides for digitization, organizing slides, cataloging slides, coordinating with contractors and partners, and overseeing launch of online assets
13. Work with Director of Collections and Exhibitions to publish catalogs documenting the Museum’s permanent object collection
14. De-accession objects in accordance with decisions by the Collections Committee
15. Develop and implement an oral history series
16. Assist public with general museum and collections inquiries and in depth research utilizing the object, library and archives collections
17. Plan, develop and execute monthly Inside the Collections talks for the public
1. All full-time staff should be available during openings and other events.
2. All full-time staff should be available for the week before, during, and after Repair Days and Forging on the River.
A BA or MA with a major in art history, museum studies, library and information science or a related field is required.
Minimum 1-2 years experience with collections work in a museum preferred.
Proficient in Microsoft Office, Past Perfect, Resource Mate, and Photoshop
Strong interpersonal skills
Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both written and verbal
Strong organization skills
Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
The Metal Museum is open to the public Tuesday – Saturday, 10 am – 5:00 pm and Sunday, Noon to 5:00 pm during which time the Museum must be staffed. All employees are required to work a minimum of 35 hours per week. Additional hours may be required during events and to complete special projects.
Please send a cover letter and resume/cv combined as one pdf document to:
Director of Collections and Exhibitions
firstname.lastname@example.orgPlease use the subject line: Application for Registrar/Librarian_First Name Last Name