Mountain Heritage Center Collections Manager
Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC
The Collections Manager implements and directs collections management activities for the Mountain Heritage Center (MHC), Western Carolina University’s museum of southern Appalachian culture and history. Artifacts from the MHC’s 10,000-object collection are used in exhibits, educational programs, and research projects of students, faculty, and visiting scholars. The Collections Manager handles, stores, houses, organizes, inventories, and photographs objects in the collections.
In addition, the Collections Manager identifies and implements preventative conservation measures for objects in the collections, coordinates access to the collections, processes accessioning and deaccessioning, and oversees the maintenance of collections facilities. She or he consults with the MHC Director and Education Associate to identify objects for exhibits, educational programs, and loans, and ensures their proper care while in use. She or he also supervises collections use for WCU student projects and provides training to student employees who assist with collections work and who are interested in careers in museums.
· Implements the MHC Collections Policy, ensuring the collections are held and used in compliance with the MHC’s research, storage, conservation, accession, deaccession, and loan policies.
· Maintains storage conditions for the MHC collections through preventative conservation methods. Houses, organizes, inventories, moves, tracks, and photographs the collections as appropriate.
· Monitors movement of collections at all stages of storage and use. Maintains the MHC’s collections database and ensures it is up-to-date. Identifies and solves cataloging errors in order to improve the accuracy of collections records and the database.
· Responds to requests and inquiries about collections use from WCU student and faculty researchers, as well as other academic institutions, interest groups, heritage communities, and the public.
· Plans, coordinates, and supervises scholarly and public use of the collections, including research, tours, and special events.
· Suggests revisions to the Collections Policy and consults with the MHC Director to update policies and procedures that impact the collections.
· Performs other collections-related activities as assigned.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
· Bachelors Degree plus 2 or more years experience handling and caring for museum collections.
· In-depth knowledge of collections management practices and procedures, including the legal and ethical requirements of museum collections.
· Demonstrated skill in organization, attention to detail, effective communication, and ability to work in diverse cultural settings.
· Demonstrated proficiency with PastPerfect museum collections database and Microsoft Office Suite (including Word and Excel).
· Ability to bend, kneel, and lift up to 50 pounds is required.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- · Degree or certification in Museum Studies, Public History or related field is highly desirable.
- · Experience in teaching about collections is highly desirable.
- · Experience with artifact photography and object mount construction is highly desirable.
- · Museum collections conservation experience is desirable.
- · Experience with NAGPRA is desirable.
- · Demonstrated success in grant writing is desirable.
· Trains and supervises volunteers, interns, and student employees working on collections-related projects as required.
· Applicants must apply online. Please submit a resume/CV and a cover letter describing your collections management experience via the WCU employment listings website at: https://jobs.wcu.edu/postings/6234